SUSTAINABILITY ACTION PLAN
The purpose of this action plan is to identify the need for a change in focus, question our current practices and identify possible directions and priorities pertaining to sustainability. While actively challenging practices, establishing processes for change and developing new systems of Sustainable practices.
What is sustainability?
There is no universally agreed definition on what sustainability means. The original definition of sustainable development is usually considered to be: “Development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” (Brundtland Commission, 1987).
Wiggles and Giggles Sustainability Mission Statement
We aim to develop a culture of sustainability within our service through our families and with the wider community.
We nurture the understanding, skills and values required to move with our community towards a sustainable future.
Guided by the Early Years Learning Framework and the National Quality Standard, we hope to instil in little minds a sense of respect and care for the environment and thereby grow up to become socially responsible through sustainable practices.
Our Centre’s leadership, governance and management processes foster education for sustainability.
Our philosophy embeds focus on creating a Natural environment while introducing children to concepts of sustainability where we can facilitate respect and care for the environment.
Current Sustainability Practices
- Vegetable gardens for each room
- Worm Farm
- Compost bins
- Raise chicken
- Yellow recycle bin and rubbish bin in each room…Dolphin and Seahorses rooms
- Yellow recycle bin for parents…Place at entrance of the Centre (Dolphin room)
- Separate bins, recycle and non-recycle in the kitchen
- Recycle resources corner in each room…Dolphin and Seahorses room
- Craft activities made with recycled resources.
- Group discussions and various activities relating to sustainability practices.
- Encourage children to practice recycle and non-recycle materials.
- Display posters about recycle and non-recycle item in various parts of the centre.
Sustainability Goals (2019-2020)
- Earth Hour
- Solar Energy Kits
- Explain Wind Energy – Make Kites
- Farm Animal
- E- programming and e-portfolios
- Bird feeder
- Rain Gauge
- Make possum boxes